    SubjectRe: ext2fs: inode with zero dtime
    In message <199809011237.NAA01893@dax.dcs.ed.ac.uk>, "Stephen C. Tweedie"
    write
    s:
    +-----
    | The issue is whether a user-requested remount can succeed with orphaned
    | files. As long as the filesystem is entirely unable to cleanly deal
    | with that situation, such a remount must be rejected.
    +--->8

    Alternative suggestion: do as the error case, remount read-only with the
    filesystem still marked dirty on disk. fsck still catches it on the next
    reboot.

    | It is even _more_ inconsistent to say that with orphaned files, we'll
    | let the user remount ro but not rw again!
    +--->8

    But such an action is unsafe, therefore it is *correct* to do so regardless
    of how "consistent" it is.

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:2.140 seconds]