SubjectRe: ext2fs: inode with zero dtime
In message <199809011237.NAA01893@dax.dcs.ed.ac.uk>, "Stephen C. Tweedie"
write
s:
+-----
| The issue is whether a user-requested remount can succeed with orphaned
| files. As long as the filesystem is entirely unable to cleanly deal
| with that situation, such a remount must be rejected.
+--->8
Alternative suggestion: do as the error case, remount read-only with the
filesystem still marked dirty on disk. fsck still catches it on the next
reboot.

| It is even _more_ inconsistent to say that with orphaned files, we'll
| let the user remount ro but not rw again!
+--->8

But such an action is unsafe, therefore it is *correct* to do so regardless
of how "consistent" it is.

--
brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu