SubjectRe: 2.1.118 Tons of oopes (arms waving violently!!!)
> Potentially. I've thought about it on and off, but it's painful to add the
> entries to every single driver, and the win has never been very big.

Did you see my message on this? You can do auto initialization in register_blkdev.
Additionally, my suggestion changes the device arrays to simply hardwire invalid
devices to a fops which simply returns 0 (or NULL or whatever) when it hits a bad

The math is pretty simple:

right now, we're loading the struct from the device array, checking a pointer in
the structure, then we're executing that or returning NULL.

My method was to simply preset all the NULL entries in register_blkdev to point
to the generic case equivelent and blindly call the function with a simple inline

#define function(dev) do { \
device_array[MAJOR(dev)]->function(dev); \
} while(0)
It's simple, it's elegant and it leverages precomputed tables all over the place.
I would reckon that we could gain a usec or more in benchmarks with this optimization.

> Also note that many of the current NULL checks (not the ones for the fops
> thing, but for other things) are superfluous: we check for NULL not
> because we need to, but often because it's just an almost automatic thing
> for me.
> For example, there is sometimes code essentially like this (see
> sys_lseek(), for example)
> struct dentry * dentry;
> struct inode * inode;
> struct file * filp = fget(fd);
> if (!filp)
> return -EBADF;
> dentry = filp->f_dentry;
> if (!dentry)
> return -EBADF;
> inode = dentry->d_inode;
> if (!inode)
> return -BADF;
> and the only check that needs to be done is really the filp one: if you
> get a filp that is active, then the dentry and inode had better be there,
> because it would be a major error (worthy of a kernel oops) if they
> weren't, so checking for dentry/inode being non-NULL is unnecessary, but
> often done simply because I and others have been anal about it.
> Personally, I would suggest against changing all the file and inode
> operations unless somebody can show cases where it makes a real-world
> difference in performance..
> Linus
> -
> the body of a message to
> Please read the FAQ at

Perry Harrington Linux rules all OSes. APSoft ()
email: Think Blue. /\