SubjectRe: Why a find causes a flush?
On 9 Aug 1998 wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder why doing a "find /some_dir" causes the kernel to mark buffers
> as dirty so the next scheduled flush writes these buffers out to disk.
> I haven't taken any look at the code but I see how the dcache saves
> accesses to disk when doing the find, but I can also see how the disk
> is accessed about 2 seconds after find finishes, or when sync is run.
> This is with kernel 2.1.115 and there's nothing bad, it is just that I
> am curious why this behavior...
> peloy.-

You just accessed a bunch of directory files. The access time will
get updated because it changed. There are presently 3 times in
the ext2 file-system, st_atime, st_mtime, and st_ctime. I have
heard, but not tried, that you can mount file-systems with a
"noatime" feature, defined in ..../linux/fs.h. You need a
recent version of `mount` to use this feature.

Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.113 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).