    SubjectRe: Why a find causes a flush?
    On 9 Aug 1998 peloy@ven.ra.rockwell.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I wonder why doing a "find /some_dir" causes the kernel to mark buffers
    > as dirty so the next scheduled flush writes these buffers out to disk.
    >
    > I haven't taken any look at the code but I see how the dcache saves
    > accesses to disk when doing the find, but I can also see how the disk
    > is accessed about 2 seconds after find finishes, or when sync is run.
    >
    > This is with kernel 2.1.115 and there's nothing bad, it is just that I
    > am curious why this behavior...
    >
    > peloy.-

    You just accessed a bunch of directory files. The access time will
    get updated because it changed. There are presently 3 times in
    the ext2 file-system, st_atime, st_mtime, and st_ctime. I have
    heard, but not tried, that you can mount file-systems with a
    "noatime" feature, defined in ..../linux/fs.h. You need a
    recent version of `mount` to use this feature.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.113 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:4.884 seconds]