SubjectRe: Stack Smashing and no-exec
Alan Cox wrote:

> > If an app can smash its stack and gain root shell without setuid or
> > root, then it is a problem. If such is the case, please let me know.
>
> I don't need a root shell. With pine 3.96 and the old metamail I could quite
> happily have sent a spam mail that erased zillions of peoples email. No
> root break but damned annoying 8)
>
> Alan

I understand that this could happen. But have you "compromised the
security of the system?" I really don't think you have. Those are
still major problems though, I will admit that.

I think I am going to step out of the argument if the
"non-root-compromising-stack smashes" are going to be included. I have
a big enough argument with myself over it, not sure I want to get
involved with it with other people.

Trever

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans