    SubjectRe: Stack Smashing and no-exec
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > If an app can smash its stack and gain root shell without setuid or
    > > root, then it is a problem. If such is the case, please let me know.
    >
    > I don't need a root shell. With pine 3.96 and the old metamail I could quite
    > happily have sent a spam mail that erased zillions of peoples email. No
    > root break but damned annoying 8)
    >
    > Alan

    I understand that this could happen. But have you "compromised the
    security of the system?" I really don't think you have. Those are
    still major problems though, I will admit that.

    I think I am going to step out of the argument if the
    "non-root-compromising-stack smashes" are going to be included. I have
    a big enough argument with myself over it, not sure I want to get
    involved with it with other people.

    Trever

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:123.316 seconds]