SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
   Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 15:56:16 -0500 (CDT)
From: Shawn Leas <sleas@ixion.honeywell.com>

One with millions of inodes even with btree will be slow. I've
benchmarked reiserfs, have you???

Doctor, doctor, it hurts when I do that.... (Then don't do that!)

There are plenty of ways that you can use userspace solutions to
populate /dev as necessary. The Comtrol Rocketport driver ships with a
shell script which automatically loads the kernel loadable module,
figures out the dynamically assigned major device number, and then
creates the devices automatically. This gets installed in /etc/rc.d
along with the loadable kernel module, the user reboots or runs
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/rocket start", and they're off and running.

Just because there's a stupid way of doing things doesn't mean that
devfs is the better way of doing things. (This is yet another example of
the illogical, flawed arguments used to try to argue for devfs.)

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.128 / U:1.236 seconds]