SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

the word from Informix within the last two weeks re: file sizes on AIX.

no DB chunk may be larger then 2GB.

if IBM can tolorate this on AIX on their machines it is not a linux killer
limit.

David Lang

On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Terry L Ridder wrote:

> Alan Cox wrote:
> >
> > > It is clear that dev_fs will not be in Linux 2.2. Companies are willing
> > > work with a "standard" (whatever that is) Linux kernel. They do not want
> > > add
> > > on patches.
> >
> > Well since right now you still need packets for >1024 file handles and
> > >128Mb per swap file I'd say that dev_fs is a minor worry 8). Doing >2Gig
> > files on a 32bit machine is a hard one however.
>
> At the moment the companies I deal with do not patch the kernel for
> >128Mb per swap file, nor for > 1024 file handles. The machines hardly
> ever swap, and the number of files is not large, it is more a small
> number of files
> that are large.
>
> Concerning the >2GB files on Intel hardware I agree that is a hard one.
> Which is why I have been bringing it up. Are we as a Community going to
> consider the requirements that Oracle & Informix support bring to the
> table?
> Chris Wedgwood brought up the third issue concerning databases and that
> is
> raw disk access without buffer cache getting in the way.
>
> If we are unable to deliver >2GB file support on Intel Hardware we still
> need
> to formulate a plan which includes Compaq/DEC and Sun concerning "get
> the word
> out" about the advantages of Linux running on a 64-bit platform. What
> remains
> to be seen is if the advantage of running Linux coupled with Oracle or
> Informix
> on a 64-bit platform will be enough for companies to purchase 64-bit
> machines.
>
> BTW, has anyone seen anything concerning Oracle & Informix supporting
> Linux/Alpha
> and Linux/Sparc64? If they are not, we are sort of stuck.
>

> We still need to address the current SCSI disk limitation of 16, and
> raw disk access w/o buffer cache.
>

> > Alan
>
> --
> Terry L. Ridder
> Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)
> "We do not write software, we compose it."
>
> When the toast is burnt
> and all the milk has turned
> and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
> when the Big One finds you
> may this song remind you that they
> don't serve breakfast in hell
> ==Breakfast==Newsboys
>
> -
> Please read the FAQ at http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.257 / U:0.096 seconds]