    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

    Andrea Arcangeli writes:
    > On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Shawn Leas wrote:
    >> In saying waiting, I wasn't meaning the human style foot tapping, coffee
    >> getting, *long wait* that it might have sounded like. I meant that little
    >> bit of time spent is unnecessary. Bigger deal for some than others, no?
    > You really don' t understand that the inode lookup time is not an issue.
    > Please really stop using it as and argument in favor of devfs.

    No, you don't understand. It has nothing to do with "ls /dev".

    Many programs need to search through /dev. That includes lilo, the
    whole procps package, stuff related to the talk daemon, etc.

    That's not even the worst of it. Every time you open a pty, you need
    access /dev. Every time you want /dev/null or /dev/zero, you access /dev.

    The result: general system slowdown. You can't point a finger at
    the problem ("we lost 23 seconds RIGHT THERE because /dev was slow")
    but you suffer anyway.

    Hey, Linus! It looks like a latency problem.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:2.728 seconds]