SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
"Anthony Barbachan" wrote:
> /dev/sd{a,b,c,...} is definately cleaner and simplier than
> /dev/dsk/c0t0u0d0s0 (or whatever?!?!?!?). And EIDE devices definately do

As a system administrator with over a decade experience, I must say that
I disagree completely. The old naming scheme is problematic and ugly and
the DEVFS one is practical and elegant. MHO.

(I rather suspect that Anthony and some other detractors have never
administered systems with multiple SCSI busses and more than a few
drives.)

Personally I really like DEVFS. It solves some real problems and it does
it in a scaleable, forward-looking manner. Auto-generation seems like
a quick-and-dirty hack by comparison. The counter-arguments I've seen
seemed to mostly refer to vague aesthetic issues. I think the aesthetics
of this kind of thing flow from its functionality, and by that DEVFS is
beautiful.

--
~~/ /~)
/.. /-<