    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
    > I've heard the suggestion that you use initrd to populate /dev
    > automagically. IMHO that is simply silly. Firstly it takes time to
    > create all those inodes (for devices you have). When you shut down you
    > should probably remove those inodes. *This* is cleaner than devfs???

    Well its swappable, you can alter nodes on the fly, and it works. You
    are pretty much describing Solaris

    > If people want to automagically populate /dev from userspace, it
    > requires information from the kernel (current boot logs do not provide
    > sufficient information). Making the boot logs spit out information for

    It seems to all be there, and there are scsi tools to handle this. As
    a side item btw - a much more important trick to support would be
    "mount by uuid" you you can mount a volume by ID wherever it walks

    [Note Im neither for or against devfs - its simply yet another random
    unapplied kernel patch]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.020 / U:16.884 seconds]