SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
Date
> I've heard the suggestion that you use initrd to populate /dev
> automagically. IMHO that is simply silly. Firstly it takes time to
> create all those inodes (for devices you have). When you shut down you
> should probably remove those inodes. *This* is cleaner than devfs???

Well its swappable, you can alter nodes on the fly, and it works. You
are pretty much describing Solaris

> If people want to automagically populate /dev from userspace, it
> requires information from the kernel (current boot logs do not provide
> sufficient information). Making the boot logs spit out information for

It seems to all be there, and there are scsi tools to handle this. As
a side item btw - a much more important trick to support would be
"mount by uuid" you you can mount a volume by ID wherever it walks

[Note Im neither for or against devfs - its simply yet another random
unapplied kernel patch]

Alan