SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)

#1, noone is taking away /dev/sd?????. Devfs does, however, offer a
small, fundamentally simple, faster, and freindlier solution, with full
backwards compatability. You therefore have no valid complaint. I don't
know why you don't see that, or maybe I'm insane.

They can hire some programmer and change Linux to suit their needs, too!
Not all Oracle shops are going to negotiate a source code liscence for the
OS they run, and be able to change it to suit them. A truely open
environment has it's advantages, wouldn't you say?

> They view dev_fs in the same light as they view Solaris /dev and HP-UX
> /dev.
> It is precisely that form of /dev they are attempting to get away from.
> They want simple and to them /dev/sda[1-15] is simple.

Ok, I see that. But, they should get new sysadmins. They aren't
understanding the fundamental simplicity behind devfs. It is graceful and
clean, eh? Well, I think so.

> I personally view dev_fs in that same light. I hate Solaris because of
> /dev.

Big and you think that the old /dev layout helps that???

My asserttion:
1) those who understand /dev nodes will see added simplicity with
devfs.
2) those who don't know the difference between a pty and a tty
might not like a complex looking device name.

Sound reasonable?

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2023 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2042 for the rich and the dead.
899 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.101 / U:1.048 seconds]