    SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
    On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, David Luyer wrote:

    > I think the solution should be a /proc/dev directory and people should be
    > able to symlink /dev to /proc/dev if they so desire, or symlink only specific
    > devices, or ignore it totally. If /dev is symlinked to /proc/dev, the proc
    > filesystem needs to be able to support a /dev/log socket being created (and
    > remaining until next reboot), and anything else userland does to /dev.

    Well, you are interestingly intuitive about the whole idea behind devfs.
    It is similar to your idea, and there are a lot of ways to configure it,
    beyond even your hopes. I hope you do try it. (For now, with "Real
    Compatibility TTY devices", though...

    > Now, if devfs is ugly compared to that, then yes, it doesn't really deserve
    > to live. However I believe there is room for a /proc/dev populated only with
    > real devices, with four major advantages;
    > * you can instantly see what is there
    > * faster directory searches
    > * makes things a lot easier for builders of distributions
    > * makes it a lot easier (for the user) when adding a new device/driver

    Thanks for the rational discussion.

    -Shawn
    <=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
    Day 2023 for the poor and the middle class.
    Day 2042 for the rich and the dead.
    899 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:3.022 / U:0.048 seconds]