SubjectRe: Problem booting Linux from 360KB disk
On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Matthew D. Pitts wrote:

>> ... eroor messages during boot.
>> I'm sure it is not a hardware problem as I can boot DOS from that floppy
>> as well as booting LILO located there or load a from that floppy kernel
>> by LILO (using the same floppy disk).
>> I didn't find any information that booting Linux directly from a 360kB
>> floppy is not supported. But it seems to be not supported.
>It's in the README in the kernel source for 2.0.2x and later. The following
>is quoted from the README in 2.1.117.
>For some, this is on a floppy disk, in which case you can "cp
> /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /dev/fd0" to make a bootable
> floppy. Please note that you can not boot a kernel by
> directly dumping it to a 720k double-density 3.5" floppy. In this
> case, it is highly recommended that you install LILO on your
> double-density boot floppy or switch to high-density floppies.
>> Can anybody explain me what is the problem (I know that it is somewhere
>> in bootsect.S), eventually how to fix it ?
>The problem is that 360kB drives are slightly obsolete and 1.2MB drives
>can't properly emulate them, if I'm not mistaken. Just because the 360kB
>drive is usable in DOS doesn't mean that Linux should support it.

BWAAHAHAHHHA! No offense, but... I didn't think that 360k disks
EXISTED anymore! How about getting an LP presser, and pressing
Linux onto a 78 speed vinyl LP? ;o)

Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS.