    SubjectRe: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel
    In message <>, Jamie Lokier
    | On Sat, Aug 29, 1998 at 08:09:36PM -0300, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
    | > A certain Knuth quote springs to mind. And if the proof verifier were
    | > np-complete (wouldn't it have to be?),
    | I shouldn't think so. A rather uneducated guess from me says a proof
    | verification machine probably doesn't even need to be Turing-complete,

    Checking whether the proof is consistent wouldn't be, but how do you verify
    the proof "goes with" the code? Including a digital signature prevents
    spoofing, but doesn't promise that the code actually works as the proof
    claims. Aside from using the proof to construct a sandbox for the code and
    trapping deviations from the proof as exceptions, I don't see how you could
    verify this easily.

    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
    system administrator [WAY too many hats]
    electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
    carnegie mellon university

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:1.196 seconds]