SubjectRe: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel
In message <>, Jamie Lokier
| On Sat, Aug 29, 1998 at 08:09:36PM -0300, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
| > A certain Knuth quote springs to mind. And if the proof verifier were
| > np-complete (wouldn't it have to be?),
| I shouldn't think so. A rather uneducated guess from me says a proof
| verification machine probably doesn't even need to be Turing-complete,

Checking whether the proof is consistent wouldn't be, but how do you verify
the proof "goes with" the code? Including a digital signature prevents
spoofing, but doesn't promise that the code actually works as the proof
claims. Aside from using the proof to construct a sandbox for the code and
trapping deviations from the proof as exceptions, I don't see how you could
verify this easily.

brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
system administrator [WAY too many hats]
electrical and computer engineering KF8NH
carnegie mellon university