SubjectModem Problems
Date
I don't know if this is a kernel compilation problem, and admin problem or a
install problem

I have been having problems with the following. After doing a fresh install
of 2.0.34 I found that everything worked fine. This was without a network
card but with a modem. It dialed up the Internet and It screamed. But when
I put in the ne2000 Ethernet card or the 3com card I had problems with
dialing out. The modem would dial the Internet and make the connection. I
could ping the dchp address from the isp as well as the remote dialup
server. I could not go any further nor could or would it hang up (kill, or
echo atz>/dev/modem would work). I could not ping any other server on the
internet but the modem ppp0 did show up using ifconfig.

Here is the machine configuration
Pentium 133
64mb ram
2 1.somethingGB IDE drives
1 Iomega PPA zip drive
S3 Virge 2mb
33.6 Jumpered modem on COM2 (irq 3)
microsoft mouse on com 1 --- com 3 has been disabled on the bios

3com 3c509 bnc card replace with ne2000 card (both on irq 10)

for some reason the installation from scratch will install the net card but
will not configure the modem properly. I have to go in and install the RPM
manually. I have followed every article I can find to fix this but nothing
has worked at this point.

I have tried to recompile the kernel after installing the rpm for the ppp
but still nothing. I have used the following

Make zlilo
Make modules
Make modules install

Reboot and it still does not work properly.

Thanks
Gary smith
Gw-smith@geocities.com