    SubjectRe: ftp.kernel.org overloaded :-(
    Date
    Followup to:  <Pine.LNX.4.00.9808290933330.9583-100000@shells.technojunkie.com>
    By author: Jeremy Katz <katzj@technojunkie.com>
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Okay, how's this for a thought... Linus has said many times that he would
    > prefer to distribute _just_ patches. This being the case, what if release
    > of devel kernels was changed so that every ten or so kernels, a complete
    > tarball would be released and just release the patches in between (though
    > have the patches available for the decade patches). This would cut down
    > on the amount of space required for a complete kernel.org mirror I would
    > think. Another thought would be to set up a machine patches.kernel.org so
    > that people downloading the smaller file can get it and go without having
    > to compete with people downloading the entire tarball. Perhaps Redhat or
    > someone would be willing to set up such a machine. Maybe I'm just
    > rambling, but I've had this disucssion about kernel.org's speed with a few
    > people and this is what we thought might work.
    >
    > Jeremy Katz
    > katzj@shells.technojunkie.com

    That just isn't going to happen, sorry.

    However, *please* be aware of the linux-patches@vger.rutgers.edu
    mailing list; it gets automailed from kernel.org on release of a new
    patch.

    (There is a size limit imposed by the vger.rutgers.edu sysadmin. If
    it becomes too onerous, please let him know so it can be adjusted.)

    -hpa
    --
    PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
    See http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/ for web page and full PGP public key