SubjectRe: !!Warning!! UDMA and Fujitsu HD
On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Stephen Smoogen wrote:

> I think I can confirm this with a FUJITSU MPB3064ATU, that I installed
> with this weekend.
>
> hda: FUJITSU MPB3064ATU, 6187MB w/256kB Cache, CHS=788/255/63, UDMA
>
> The motherboard is an ASUS TX motherboard (I dont have the specs in front
> of me at the moment.) Tried the following kernels to "play" with it.
>
> 2.0.34-pre6 (Red Hat 5.1 installation)
> 2.0.35 (Red Hat 5.1 installation)
>
> The following errors show up on "random" sectors of the drive during the
> boot of the kernel if UDMA is turned on:
>
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { BadSector DriveStatusError }, LBAsect=329593,
>
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { BadSector DriveStatusError }, LBAsect=1505805,
>
> Turning off UDMA via the motherboard cleared up the problem, and no
> sectors show up "bad" when looked at with "norton" or similar disk
> utilities.
>
> I am guessing this may be one for a "black-list" of UDMA drives.

UDMA is reusing the BadSector bit for "CRC error" (we just forgot to
change the error message to display "CRC error" in the 2.0.x kernels).

The above messages mean that the kernel detected a CRC error and retried
the request - no harm was done. Turning of UDMA also means that a CRC check
will no longer be performed, so I'd recommend replacing the IDE cable,
just to be on the safe side.

Gadi