SubjectRe: CIPE - Encrypted IP Encapsulation
This is true, however a cipe like patch could be available and kept fairly
upto-date, where as cipe has much potential but no one working on it, and
it does not _easily_ intigrate with the kernel, as in the source.
Currently there are many different approaches to encrypted ip tunneling,
two noteable ones are skey and cipe. I was just pointing out that this is
a widely liked idea, and hell, solaris has it, why shouldn't we?

Billy

-- Max Inux <maxinux@bigfoot.com> Hey Christy!!!! KeyID 0x8907E9E5
Kinky Sex makes the world go round O R Strong crypto makes the world safe
If crypto is outlawed only outlaws will have crypto
Fingerprint(photo soon): 259D 59F7 D98C CD73 1ACD 54Ea 6C43 4877 8907 E9E5

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Trevor Johnson wrote:

>Judging from your signature, I think you can easily guess the answer. :)
>Perhaps something along these lines is worth putting in the FAQ.
>
>Q: I need encryption and steganography. Why isn't it in the kernel?
>
>A: In France and Russia, strong encryption is essentially illegal:
>according to http://cwis.kub.nl/~frw/people/koops/jenc8bjk.htm, using it
>there requires a license which is seldom granted. The United States has
>cumbersome restrictions on exporting such software (it's considered a
>"munition"--see http://www.epic.org/crypto/export_controls/). Having
>these features in the standard kernel would therefore cause great
>inconvenience to people in those countries. However, separate programs
>and patches to the kernel are available at
>ftp://ftp.csua.berkeley.edu/pub/cypherpunks/filesystems/linux/,
>http://fractal.mta.ca/pub/crypto/aem/ (*),
>http://www.cygnus.com/~gnu/swan.html,
>http://www.inka.de/~bigred/devel/cipe.html,
>http://www.quick.com.au/ftp/pub/sjg/, http://www.cs.hut.fi/ssh/,
>http://web.mit.edu/kerberos/www/, and other places.
>
>(*) Andrew Mileski's site was down when I tried it just now, so perhaps
>this is out of date.
>__
>Trevor Johnson

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:1.168 / U:0.016 seconds]