SubjectRe: CIPE - Encrypted IP Encapsulation
On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 12:12:55AM -0700, Max Inux wrote:
> This is true, however a cipe like patch could be available and kept fairly
> upto-date, where as cipe has much potential but no one working on it, and
> it does not _easily_ intigrate with the kernel, as in the source.
> Currently there are many different approaches to encrypted ip tunneling,
> two noteable ones are skey and cipe. I was just pointing out that this is
> a widely liked idea, and hell, solaris has it, why shouldn't we?

I've been thinking about this lately. There are beginning to be quite
some crypto-patches to the kernel and to be more accessible and reduce
bloat (not duplicating DES 5 times), I think an up-to-date
"international version" of linux is needed, and a team to maintain it.
When users can download a single patch to get tcfs, IPsec,
loop-crypto, EnSKIP, and CIPE, I think the userbase for these patches
could grow tremendously. As a result of more beta-testers, the
quality will improve. It is important that the quality of the
crypto-patches is as good as the rest of the kernel. It is also
important that these patches don't step on each others feet and that
it is possible to use them all at the same time.

The important part of this is to get the infrastructure right. A
patch distributed "together" with the normal kernel would be immensely
more useful than an obscure patch distributed from some far-away
place. What I was thinking was to make a primary international site
that mirrors ftp.kernel.org an "overlays" a patch-crypto-x.y.z.gz file
in the v2.{0,1} catalogs. This is not a new idea, but similar to the
way glibc distributes glibc-crypt "separately". If the infrastructure
is right, it would be a no-brainer for international sites to switch
from mirroring ftp.kernel.org to mirroring the international site.

I'd like to hear some feedback on this. If there is positive
interest, I'll use some time to make this happen.

astor

--
Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
http://www.guardian.no/