SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
Shawn Leas writes:
> On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > Nathan Hand writes:
> > >
> > > I agree. The devfs solves a number of problems neatly, and in some
> > > ways can improve system performance.
> > >
> > > However I don't think devfs will make it into 2.2. Also the kernel
> > > gods have (had?) some issues with the concept entirely.
> >
> > IIRC, only HPA has had strong objections. Other kernel gods have
> > either been quiet or supportive. And don't give up on devfs making it
> > into 2.2: last I heard Linus is still "actively considering" it.
>
> I must take this opportunity to make a plea to Linus...

You might want to Cc to him directly: I hear he filters his mail. I
certainly do (stuff Cc'ed or just sent directly gets read sooner than
kernel-list stuff).

> Due to problems with the network routing 'round here, I haven't been able
> to look at the archives and grub in the archives for previous discussion.
> However, I do know of a few reasons that I think the devfs is a good thing
> for the kernel.
>
> 1) better device naming conventions. Some people will need some time to
> get used to it, but hey, progress over whinings.

People who don't like the new names can always use the compatibility
names. Although in my personal setup I disable the compatibility
entries (I've put my money where my mouth is;-).

> 2) Speedups on heavily used large scale linux systems, not to mention
> simply the ability to scale effectively. This is a MAJOR concern for 2.3,
> considering 2.3 will be the base for the next stable release. Just
> imagine the hardware we'll have by then!

I'm still considering hacking the SCSI disc driver to support >16
discs by using the devfs automagic device numbering. I just haven't
had time to do it. A volunteer would be welcome. Hint, hint.

> 3) TOTAL backwards compatibility. I'm using the alsa sound drivers, and
> major/minor devices that are needed can be created normally. TTY devices
> with /dev/tty? names and REAL major minor nodes can be autogenerated.

Yep, that compatibility is essential. I even used it myself when only
a few drivers supported devfs :-)

> 4) Richard Gooch is SUPER FAST with updates!!! C'mon?!?!?! Just having
> such a proactive maintainer should make you happy enough to make room for
> even just optional devfs in the official tree!
>
> Three cheers for Richard!

<blush>

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:2.289 / U:0.012 seconds]