SubjectRe: Linux 2.1.x IDE/ATAPI CDROM support
On Mon, Aug 03, 1998 at 03:11:23PM +0200, Christian Viken wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I have since kernel 2.1.101 not been able to mount my Optics Storage 12X
> IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM.
> I have tried every kernel since then (current: 2.1.113)
>
> mount does not return any error messages, just halts the xterm i run it
> from and at system shutdown (after trying to mount the cd-rom and after
> killing the stalled xterm) the umounting process hangs infinitely.
>
> I have tried both the static and the module way of kompiling the kernel
> IDE CDROM driver and ISO9660 filesystem (every possible way) and I have
> also tried different versions of mount. Same result every time.
>
> Current system:
> RedHat 5.1
> mount-2.7l-3
> glibc-2.0.7-19
>
> With dmesg i get:
> -------------------
> VFS: Disk change detected on device 16:00
> ATAPI device hdc:
> Error: Unit attention -- (Sense key=0x06)
> Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed -- (asc=0x28,
> ascq=0x00)
> -------------------
>
> Hope this helps. I have no idea how to help you more. Please ask.
>
> Thanx
>
> -Chris

With the latest kernel (2.1.113 or later) could you compile ide-cd in as
a module, and add:
options cdrom debug=1

to your /etc/conf.modules. This will cause the uniform cdrom driver to
be built as a module and to dump out tons of debugging stuff to your
system log when it is used. You might also try out:
options cdrom debug=1 check_media_type=1

I just added these flags to Uniform to help debug this sort of stuff...
Anyway, let me know if that helps to narrow down the source of the
problem. I have been meaning to add this type of debugging stuff to
ide-cd as well (I have a pre-patch that does this but it is not ready
for public consumption.)

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen Web: http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/