SubjectRe: Static analysis of the Linux kernel
I am really jump into this thread rather late but I thought
I would share my experience at attempting to use CIAO from
AT&T Research Labs to analysis the Linux Kernel.

Background:
Please refer to
http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/reuse/packages/ciao.html

Despite what the Web page says they do have a binary for Linux
which may be downloaded.

Also despite what impression the Web Page may give the source
is not available for download.

Experience:

Running CIAO against Linux-2.0.34 I receive the following

155 files cannot be processed.
155 files can be processed.

This is out of 312 files which I attempted to process with
CIAO.

The other two files CIAO just "blows it brains out", so I am
unable to tell if the files would or would not process.

CIAO has problems in the following areas:

CIAO is slow when graphing the 155 files that it is able to process.

CIAO does not understand embedded assembly language.
examples:
asm/system.h __xchg

To use CIAO I had to #ifdef all the embedded assembly language.

CIAO does not understand any of the *.S files.

This should be able to fix this problem, by creating an
"instance" for Assemebly Language. I am still attempting to
read the documentation concerning creating a new instance.

Thoughts:

May need to break the kernel into subsections and analysis them
instead of attempting to analysis the entire kernel.

If anyone is interested I will try to put some of the graphs
that I have generated up on my Web page. Please let me know.

Since AT&T Research has made a Linux binary available it
would seem that they are supporting Linux.
Would get be worth the effort to approach the authors about
making the necessary modifications so that it could be used
on the Linux kernel?

This may not even be doable because of software licensing issues.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt
and all the milk has turned
and Captain Crunch is waving farewell
when the Big One finds you
may this song remind you that they
don't serve breakfast in hell
==Breakfast==Newsboys

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:43    [W:0.044 / U:0.084 seconds]