    SubjectRe: sector size of 2068?
    In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.980827132719.204B-100000@chaos.analogic.com>,
    "Richar
    d B. Johnson" writes:
    +-----
    | On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Peter wrote:
    | > What would need to be changed to make a SCSI disk with sector_size
    | > reporting back as 2068 work?
    |
    | In the SCSI controller BIOS setup, low-level format the drive using
    | your new controller. The drive was apparently low-level formatted on
    +--->8

    We've been through that already. His question is, why can't we use it with
    2068? (The reason he asked being that more space is "wasted" with 512-byte
    sectors due to sector mark overhead.)

    The short answer is that most of the kernel assumes that disk sector sizes
    are a power of 2 and therefore can be represented via bit shifting 2068
    isn't a power of 2, so isn't eligible. 2048 might well be doable, though,
    if you really wanted it....

    | optimization to select the proper head, etc. Therefore I doubt
    | that the "real" block-size is 2068. In practice, it's usually
    | 512 or a multiple thereof.
    +--->8

    It has been suggested that they chose a format that makes the disk look as
    big as possible. That it's not *usable* in that format (to my knowledge, no
    other OS does 2068-byte sectors either) isn't significant to marketroids
    pushed to "demonstrate" their numbers....

    --
    brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh] allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
    system administrator [WAY too many hats] allbery@ece.cmu.edu

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.020 / U:151.132 seconds]