SubjectRe: de4x5.c patch against 2.1.117
Date
> The patches I'd actually accept would be something that made sense on a
> larger scale, and were able to support PnP as a side effect.
>
> Quite frankly, PnP as a standard sucks. Anything that just reads the PnP
> standard and tries to force that on Linux will be most definitely ignored.

I actually took the ISAPnP patches and tried to beat them into that after
the last time Linus made his comments.

If you try this you'll discover two things

1. Most of ISAPnP can be done in user space

2. The only stuff that can't is (with one exception I know of)[*]
related entirely to hot reconfiguration.

As things stand right now we have a problem over all with the following
related issues

Hot Swap - PCMCIA, Cardbus, USB,...

Physical Resource Management

Mostly related to the above. We need to be able to
do dynamic reallocations, partial decode and track
memory and other resources

Device restoration

When we swap a device in we need to restore its state,
PCMCIA does this via a daemon but its not yet generic
just a very good basis.

The last one along with state saving is needed for ACPI suspend to disk
as well.

In the end I found I had a choice of (2.3ish) doing the whole resource
stuff, or avoiding the resource stuff, which reduced to the "isapnp
tools needs a decent front end" problem not a kernel one.

Alan
[*] Folks putting mac level addresses in the ISAPnP card serial number

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.102 / U:0.340 seconds]