    SubjectRe: copy_from_user() fix
    H. Peter Anvin writes:
    > Followup to: <199808250429.OAA10383@vindaloo.atnf.CSIRO.AU>
    > By author: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>
    > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
    > >
    > > Jamie Lokier writes:
    > is
    > ing
    > > >=20
    > > > I just changed my mind.
    > > >=20
    > > > I bet no applications at all currently check for EFAULT from system
    > > > calls, unless they're really weird and are doing it to behave _as if_
    > > > they'd received SIGSEGV. Actually I bet they don't bother because ev=
    > ery
    > > > syscall would need to be wrapped. I'm theorising that this could scr=
    > ew
    > > > up Wine in some unusual but valid cases.
    > >=20
    > > Well, you're wrong. I do have applications that explicitely check for
    > > EFAULT. I *don't* want them to receive SEGV.
    >
    > So, what happens if the libc/kernel interface is changed? You're
    > screwed, because your code is broken.

    I'd then have to ask why Linux has broken applications that work
    perfectly well on other systems. I read the man pages on all these
    systems and there I see EFAULT.

    Didn't someone say Unix98 defines EFAULT? So it looks like we can
    herdly blow it away.

    Regards,

    Richard....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:0.252 seconds]