SubjectRe: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel
Followup to:  <>
By author: Alexander Kjeldaas <>
In newsgroup:
> You don't want a VM in the kernel, but you might want a system level
> VM - a single VM used by all java-programs what will do caching and
> optimalization etc. Other than that, it is interesting to see if
> there are any new services needed by a VM that the kernel should
> provide. I know of one such service: user-level exceptions. Being
> able to handle a memory protection exception without the
> user->kernel->user context switches makes certain GC/VM-tricks much
> less expensive.

Hmm... I don't know if you can do that and still maintain OS
security; anyone remember the "sliding password" security hole?

PGP: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD 1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74
See for web page and full PGP public key
I am Bahá'í -- ask me about it or see
"To love another person is to see the face of God." -- Les Misérables