    SubjectRe: copy_from_user() fix
    On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 01:45:12AM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    > Will I don't agree with the feature either, all we're talking about is
    > adding one line to the page fault handler: send_sig(SIGSEGV). Nothing
    > else needs to change, does it?

    I just changed my mind.

    I bet no applications at all currently check for EFAULT from system
    calls, unless they're really weird and are doing it to behave _as if_
    they'd received SIGSEGV. Actually I bet they don't bother because every
    syscall would need to be wrapped. I'm theorising that this could screw
    up Wine in some unusual but valid cases.

    To make matters worse, if they do this by calling the signal handler
    directly, the faulting address isn't available. If they do kill
    (getpid(),SIGSEGV), a fault may have happened in the mean time so the
    faulting address may be wrong or lost. In the latter case, as luck
    would have it, probably the operations retry until the right address is
    found. But it is a matter of luck, and anything that tried to count
    faults could get it wrong in these rare cases.

    - EFAULT alone is an anachronism.
    - Only a few applications care whether SIGSEGV is raised or not.
    - Some emulators and user-space page management depend on SIGSEGV
    for page faults, and will behave incorrectly when it is not raised
    in syscalls.
    - There is no correct workaround other than the kernel raising SIGSEGV.

    I propose EFAULT should be retained, but faulting syscalls should _also_
    raise SIGSEGV.

    Addendum for a related problem: Consider when a syscall, interrupt
    etc. (whatever) combination manage to raise more than one signal _at the
    same time_, of which one is SIGSEGV due to a page fault. Assume the
    program is using user-space page management for something.

    A handler for one of the other signals is called first. The handler may
    itself fault, causing a SIGSEGV if it is not blocked. Or perhaps
    storing the context on the stack might fault. A nested call to the SEGV
    handler handles the inner fault. The other handler returns, then a
    context the SIGSEGV handler is called for the original fault. Now, the
    page fault address from %cr2 (or non-Intel equivalent) is stored in the
    context passed to the handler. But it is wrong by now! It is the
    address of the inner fault, which has already been handled.

    Ho hum.

    Perhaps a VM extension could be written, whereby page faults send a
    queued real-time signal along with the faulting address, and maybe some
    information to identify the faulting region too. That would work
    properly because the address can be queued at the time of the fault.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.030 / U:33.000 seconds]