    SubjectRe: Large numbers of files.
    On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

    > Hi,
    > On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 16:56:57 -0400 (EDT), "Richard B. Johnson"
    > <> said:
    > > You can make a directory that is too large to be read with the usual
    > > tools. If you run this program, I'd suggest that you mount a "scrap"
    > > disk on /tmp, because you might have to use mke2fs to fix the mess.
    > The program you include uses 1k of disk space for the data and one inode
    > for every file it creates. It's pretty much guaranteed to run out of
    > inodes before it runs out of anything else. However, I've used your
    > code and modified versions of it to try to reproduce the problem, and
    > everything works just fine for me when running out of either inodes or
    > blocks on the disk.
    > Is there anything special you are doing? I can't see how this can be
    > happening, I can't reproduce it and I've never seen it reported before.
    > --Stephen

    Nothing special. If I mount 1.2Gb, newly-created, ext2, empty file-system,
    then make all those directories. The machine will be completely dead in
    about 5 minutes, the time it takes for the disk activity to stop. This is
    on version 2.1.115.

    Then, after I reboot and `fsck` everything, the file-system with all
    those directories is "mountable". However I can't read anything
    on it, I can't see what is happening (where it's waiting) because
    2.1.115 doesn't have WCHAN any more. Then, if I reboot to dismount it
    (won't dismount because its busy) and run `fsck` on it, `fsck` finds about
    everything wrong and never completes.

    There are screens and screens of inode-numbers that scroll for several
    hours. `Fsck` isn't interruptable at that time. The machine is usable
    from another tty so I can reboot. However, the scratch file-system
    is destroyed.

    Dick Johnson

    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.115 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:6.192 seconds]