    SubjectRe: pre egcs-1.1 testing and Linux 2.1.x
       Date: 	Sat, 22 Aug 1998 11:18:47 -0700 (PDT)
    From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

    I wanted to just clarify the issue of egcs and Linux-2.1.x.

    I agree with your quibbles on the most part, _however_:

    In this specific instance the regparm problems are a symptom of a much
    larger issue, SMALL_REGISTER_CLASSES. Linus, I know when you want to
    add regparm to some function you check it out to see if gcc
    miscompiles it before actually using it for real right? Well the
    reasons for these failure cases are actually known by the egcs
    developers, and they realize how insurmountable it is to fix "right
    this moment".

    Richard Kenner made a huge mistake by letting regparm on the intel
    into the gcc code in the first place, because of this crucial
    fundamental flaw which prevents them from working reliably.

    So don't blame the egcs people for trying to deal with the mess Kenner
    created. Give them time, they will fix it eventually, believe me I am
    working a lot on the egcs project so I know what kind of time frames
    we are talking about here.

    And if they can't fix egcs right now, or in the next release, in this
    regard, cut them slack for once for crying out loud. They've chosen
    to disable a feature instead of allowing it to generate incorrect
    code. I think thats a good engineering decision.

    Regparm was always broken, and you even know it, the egcs people are
    acknowledging it's brokenness, and will (eventually) fix it. But for
    now, until it is fixed and stops allowing miscompilation, it is off.

    I think that with how much you knew yourself about it's brokenness,
    relying on it for the few cases where your version of gcc happens to
    get it right is playing with fire.

    I'm just getting a little sick of the "I am Linus, hear me roar,
    nobody use that fucked up EGCS compiler if it's developers don't
    listen to everything I say and leave on all the features I want for
    the kernel, even if they are broken." The people who sweat night and
    day on egcs take offense to this, and now in this instance myself
    included.

    Later,
    David S. Miller
    davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.023 / U:0.100 seconds]