    SubjectRe: Linux 2.1 problems writes:
    > Hello everyone.
    > I am using 2.1.117+devfs. Works quite well, devfs is cool. I have the
    > following problems with it, though:
    > - quake doesn't start; says cannot open /dev/dsp. I have kmod and sb
    > enabled. Here is my /etc/modules.conf:

    Try adding the following two lines:
    alias sound sb
    alias sound/* sb

    > alias char-major-10-135 off
    > alias net-pf-4 off
    > alias net-pf-5 off
    > alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
    > alias ide/fd ide-floppy
    > alias ide/cd ide-cd
    > alias tts serial
    > alias tts/0 serial
    > alias tts/1 serial
    > alias cua serial
    > alias cua/0 serial
    > alias cua/1 serial
    > post-install sb modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
    > options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
    > options adlib_card io=0x388
    > options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
    > - also as you can see from the above, there is a lot of messy aliasing
    > necessary. This should be fixed. (tts and cua should be alised to serial
    > by default, etc)

    I'm working on a sample database to be included with modutils. For
    now, replace your serial aliases with:
    alias tts serial
    alias tts/* serial
    alias cua serial
    alias cua/* serial

    > - a killall5 9 prints this (with various values instead of 132):
    > kmod: waitpid(132,NULL,0) failed, returning -512.
    > ... and it also leaves a zombie modprobe with ppid=1 (this is weird; I
    > am using sysvinit 2.74)

    Does it cause and problems?

    > - The lp driver needs to be fixed to use devfs.

    It works for me. What are the symptoms you are seeing?

    > - I use the rc.devfs script to restore device settings. Sometimes, I get
    > this message when running rc.devfs start:
    > devfs: d_iput(): saved dentry: c1aaf900 is not: c1fd44e0
    > devfs: probably harmless: only report if problems

    Don't worry about it. As the message says, only tell me about it if
    there is a problem (related to the message, of course).

    > - If major/minor numbers are disabled, the kernel panics about not being
    > able to mount 0305 (my root device) an explicit root= parameter fixes
    > it. What's up?

    There is a section in the README/FAQ which talks about this.

    > - Midnight Commander 4.1.34 doesn't work in a virtual console (it hangs
    > in S state, a kill from another tty fixes it).

    Probably this is not a devfs-related problem. Do you get this problem
    without the devfs patch?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.022 / U:21.896 seconds]