SubjectRe: Files >2G in size & Increasing SCSI disk drive limit.

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:11:54 -0500, Terry L Ridder <>

> A client just today asked about when they will be able to move
> a database of roughly 500GB (yes a half of terabyte) from HP-UX
> to Linux.

> RAID may be a temporary solution, but even some of their databases
> which use "cooked" files as opposed to "raw" disk partitions are larger
> than 2GB.

As far as the kernel is concerned, RAID is probably not important at
this level of operation. If you have that much storage, chances are you
are using a large storage cabinet which can do RAID internally and which
just presents a big, virtual SCSI device to the host.

As for >2GB files, that shouldn't take too long to get right but
unfortunately we are far too close to 2.2 for it to make it in.