    SubjectRe: Linux/alpha 2.1.117, egcs
    On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Stephen Williams wrote:

    > I've been complaining incessantly about Linux 2.1.111-2.1.116, so finally
    > I get to report the good news that 2.1.117, compiled with egcs-19980816,
    > has been running now for the last few hours. 2.1.116 wouldn't last more
    > then a few minutes. This is an improvement.
    >
    > So, I guess the problem was a kernel problem, and went away with 117.
    > I get to report that egcs correctly built my Linux/alpha kernel.

    I would like to say something about egcs.
    I am using egcs me too and for a long time now. I have _never_ had
    problems with egcs.
    Of course I try to reduce the likelihood of egcs bugs that can render the
    kernel unstable.
    Every time I get a snapshot, I 'make bootstrap' to compile, recompile and
    compare: just to be sure the compiler _seems_ okay to itself.
    Then I run its tests: 'make check'.
    Here the rule is: if it pass _all_ the gcc tests: without unexpected
    errors (the suite reports all the errors and passes) and pass _all_ the
    library tests then I install the compiler. I don't care about g77 and g++
    since I don't really need them. Oh .. and I am aware that these rules
    could not be enought to be sure to have a good compiler.

    Using these rules, my actual egcs is the 980315 snapshot and it runs well.
    No problems at all with _any_ kernels. 2.1.116 was quite stable compiled
    with egcs (the version I use): no problems and when I've got the 117, 116
    compiled the 117 and lasted until reboot ... so I don't understand your
    point that the 116 should have a bug that went away in 117.

    Now just a question: do you run at least 'make check' before installing a
    new egcs snapshot ?

    Ciao,
    Riccardo.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.031 / U:1.296 seconds]