    SubjectRe: VFS/ext2fs - large files on the Alpha (fails for 17GB+)
    Chris Wedgwood wrote:

    > There are many complexities with very large files, e.g. >>2gb,
    > especially when you consider mmap, etc.
    > But, it seems there might be a simpler `half-way' case which won't
    > require lots of vm reworking, for files between 2gb and the maximum
    > size of userland, normally 3GB.
    > Even when/if we do support obscenely large files (e.g. 10GB) for
    > Intel, we still will only ever be able to mmap a small part of them.

    Well, not totally. There is the posiblity that the Intel engineers
    offered us for addressing more than one single 32 bit space:

    Screams and flashbacks to working under DOS and Win31 aside, using the
    segment support with the Inter CPU line it should be possible to address
    a large number of 4GB memory spaces using a segment register loaded with
    an alternate segment descriptor.

    Having actually played with a little OS development using 32bit code
    with a non-flat memory model, this has a few advantages; I was able to
    provide support for executables with 4GB code, 4GB data, 4GB stack, all
    completely seperate. Of course the physical memory wasn't there; it was
    mostly just a project to determine if this could be done.

    This might be the model for providing a 64 bit (or greater) size mmap
    function; return a bunch of 4GB segments that each contain an apropriate
    part of the file. A compiler that deals with segment:offset pointers
    politely would then present this as one single, contiguous address space
    larger than the individual address limits.

    Disclamer: I know zero (0) about the Linux MM layer; this is just noting
    that the hardware could support the mmap on IA-32...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.021 / U:28.032 seconds]