    SubjectRe: ANNOUNCE: Pset (sysmp) 0.58 for Linux/SMP now available
    On 17 Aug 1998, Andi Kleen wrote:

    >> Could you explian me how could be more secure?
    >
    >For example if you compute a cryptographic algorithm in the root
    >process then some information leaks over thread/process boundaries
    >(e.g. cycle counters, or cache line information etc.) and could be

    The only thing you should be able to read as normal user in i386 is the
    tsc that say you how many tick the CPU got until boot.

    >Search the web for 'side-chanel cryptoanalysis' or 'timing attacks'
    >for more information about this. e.g. http://www.counterpane.com/side_channel.html

    Also the power consumation can be an useful data for the attakker reading
    the doc. I think that if somebody need such kind of security is better to
    allow only trusted users to login on its machine instead of run its
    process on a single CPU.

    >Note that the leaking of the cycle counters on Intel could be easily

    Which cycle counter? The tsc? The tsc can' t be used by other process to
    take timings from your process and the other i386 profiling counters are
    accessible only as root.

    Andrea[s] Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:0.204 seconds]