    SubjectRe: [discussion] Swap overcommitment recovery
    This is not an endorsement or rejection of your idea, just a comment on
    one thing you may have overlooked. One of the things you stated was

    > 2) Modify the swap subsystem to set the flag when we reach a configurable
    > threshhold. (ex. 90% utilization) Reset the flag when we drop back below
    > this threshhold. 2.1) When the flag is set, signal init to run the
    > nomemory action for the current runlevel.

    I'd recommend some hysteresis factor in setting this limit. Say
    like trigger at 95% but do not reset until 90%. This will prevent you
    from ending up constantly setting and resetting your flag. As you
    it originally, if your utilization hovers at around 90%, which it would
    tend to on a heavily used system (lots of small processes) you could eat
    quite a bit of CPU just managing this flag and it's effects on the
    If the goal is to preserve enough system so root can still get in and
    problems, the last thing you want to do is get into a storm handling

    Patrick R. Hickel
    Senior Computing Systems Administrator
    Boeing Information and Support Services

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.018 / U:33.976 seconds]