SubjectRe: DEVFSv50 and /dev/fb? (or /dev/fb/? ???)
On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> That to me sounds right. Don't do it by hand, write an application to do it
> but keep it in user space where it belongs

On one hand I completely agree with the "keep it in userspace" assertion.
However, to my partial disagreement, I do think there is a role for the
kernel/drivers to play in at least announcing that they exist to
userspace, etc...

Is this not what the device FS really does, even if it is using the VFS to
do it?

In other words, just push all device mgmt whatsoever into userspace is to
me broken, and I believe that if the original Unix had such an inerface an
idea like DevFS would have popped up a long time ago.

If we can avoid a hoaky HP-UX-ish solution to device creation (which seems
to be the userland one), I like it. I don't see that it breaks some
functionality, but if it does, you've tested it, and it's fundamentally
impossible to do with DevFS, there are even other ways to do DevFS.

Mount it in /devfs and let a devfsd UNDESTRUCTIVELY populate /dev, maybe
even selecting only certain classes of devices!

I think we are missing some points here, and getting stuck in our ways.
That one was just my opinion.

-Shawn
<=========== America Held Hostage ===========>
Day 2027 for the poor and the middle class.
Day 2046 for the rich and the dead.
895 days remaining in the Raw Deal.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.123 / U:0.108 seconds]