SubjectRe: Out of ptys??
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> This is 2.1.115 FAQ thing:
>
> orc@pell.portland.or.us (david parsons) wrote:
> > Nicholas J. Leon <nicholas@binary9.net> wrote:
> > >On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> > > # This system has been running 2.1.115 for awhile and it seems to work
> > > # I just updated another machine, identical hardware, etc.
> > > # It does not work.
> > > #
> > > # # rlogin quark
> > > # rlogind: Out of ptys. <------------ What the hell!
> > >
> > >The major number from pty's has changed from 4 to 3 & 2 in 2.1.115.
> >
> > I don't know who did this, but, please, change the major numbers
> > back; having to manually redo all the /dev entries for ptys
> > every time you toggle the system between a <2.1.115 and >=2.1.115
> > kernel will get old really fast.
>
> Nicholas gave wrong reason.
> If your system has not been running with TTY/PTYs of major
> numbers 2 and 3 since 1.3.*, you truly are running an old
> installation...
>
> 2.1.115 just REMOVED backwards compability support for
> major '4' as tty/pty device number.

Well whatever. With the new ptys created with the new MAKEDEV, I can't
open a 'terminal' from the network. Hense rlogin, rsh, telnet, etc., all
fail. Somebody said I would have to upgrade that machine to a new
'C' runtime library???? Is this true?? If so hundreds of programs
used to test network-connected equipment will no longer compile. I
put the new glibc stuff on this machine. If I put it on others, they
are broken because of all the changes in the headers, structures,
member-names, etc. It would take over a man-year to modify all that
code, roughly a half-million lines of Cat-Scanner test code. If the new
ptys truly require this, they are broken.

I sure hope this is not true. I would have to use my SunDog for company
work instead of Linux. All that stuff runs on my Sun as well as my
Linux machines (they WERE compatible).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.115 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.100 / U:0.664 seconds]