SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>
Date
> kgicon instead of just porting your drivers to become real fbcon
> drivers. You have been told a million times here that acceleration
> belongs in user space and still you insist on putting it in the kernel
> where it does not belong.

Jes, if they PC was designed the same way as the limited subset of cards
the Amiga supported this might be true. However the most recent PC cards
do DMA (not in XFree) and use IRQs(not in XFree). AGP is designed to be
able to use/share the MMU stuff with a PC (not in XFree)..

The MMU, DMA, IRQ stuff really demands minimal kernel side support. On
other cards you can crash the machine by feeding it bogus accelerator data
which puts you back in the "trusted process" situation - but at least now
you are in the trusted process no major atomicity issues.

Finally you can't mmap() io ports on a PC - there are usable access
mechanisms but subject to the 'trusted process' requirement

> like I was wrong ;-( Basically you are telling us that libGGI will
> never be fast as it can never ustilize accelration - this is a real
> shame.

Read the source code

> If you want 100% safety, buy proper hardware, don't try to fix things
> inside the kernel with a sledgehammer.

Got an AGP port on your nice dual BX board Jes. If so for full utilisation
you need kernel side acceleration support.

[Argument over whether the acceleration interface should be consistant
across the kernel/user boundary or kept in the user code - no comment]

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.069 / U:0.984 seconds]