SubjectRe: A true story of a crash.
Todd Larason <jtl@molehill.org> writes:

> I've used a large Solaris system (~2 1/2 gig RAM) with strictallocation (I
> don't know if that was standard, or if our site had it turned on for some
> reason) where we had to have *many* gigabytes of disk dedicated to swap,
> despite the fact that *none* of it was ever used.

i'm pretty sure that lazy allocation is the default for solaris.
personally, i wouldn't mind seeing an option to have strict
allocation for linux, i'd seriously consider using
it in production environments.

imho, it is all usage statistics, though, and lazy
page allocation likely works 99.9...9 percent of the time,
its just that little .0...01 percent that sucks :)

-- craig

Craig I. Hagan "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to back it up"
hagan(at)cih.com "True hackers don't die, their ttl expires"
"It takes a village to raise an idiot, but an idiot can raze a village"

Stop the spread of spam, use a sendmail condom!
http://www.cih.com/~hagan/smtpd-hacks

In Bandwidth we trust

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.033 / U:0.272 seconds]