    SubjectRe: A true story of a crash.
    Matt Agler <> writes:

    > Actually, after looking at the init manpage, we don't need another
    > deamon. We've got init. There could be a new action called, say, nomem
    > to go right alongside powerfail and ctrlaltdel. While the kernel is
    > putting things to sleep to get the system under control, it could signal
    > init to run the nomem action for the current runlevel.
    > This sounds very simple, elegant and configurable to me.

    I like this, my worry would be that you would need to have
    enough memory to spawn the process. perhaps there could
    be some special fork/whatever set aside which grabs memory
    from a system hidey-hole rather than from the (now abused) swap.

    -- craig

    Craig I. Hagan "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to back it up"
    hagan(at) "True hackers don't die, their ttl expires"
    "It takes a village to raise an idiot, but an idiot can raze a village"

    Stop the spread of spam, use a sendmail condom!

    In Bandwidth we trust

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:0.440 seconds]