SubjectRe: Solid v2.1.115 kernel lockup
On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Stephen Williams wrote:

> > Yep, I'm very certain that this is the case - I have noticed that the
> > system will always lock up if it does a hard disk access at the same time
> > as it plays a sound. It sounds like the (excuse the pun) sound driver and
> > the IDE driver are fighting with each other to service the interrupts.
>
> My alpha doesn't even *have* a sound card, and I get hard lockups with 115,
> and less frequently with 111 as well. I'm running UP w/ aic7xxx SCSI,
> DE450 and 3c509 ethernet, an S3 based video card, on a PC164 system.

This problem I'm describing has nothing to do with the problems you are
experiencing [you're on an Alpha - an entirely different architecture] -
I'm sure there is a problem in the sound drivers that is causing the
lockups when playing sounds through the Soundblaster 2.0 16bit ISA card at
the same time as the IDE hardware being used - everything else in the
kernel works 100% reliably.

It's unfortunate this has cropped up at the end of my 2 weeks' vacation or
I'd have settled down to a long bug hunting session using printk()s :o(

Cheers,
Alex
--
/\_/\ Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
> ^ < Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.046 / U:0.520 seconds]