    SubjectRe: Winmodem support
    On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
    [SNIPPED for brevity]

    > I don't think this is USR's fault, by the way. I think it's coming from
    > Rockwell, the manufacturer which makes the chipsets for all of the
    > Winmodems.

    I don't think it's Rockwell. They make the chips for most all the
    Modems. I mistakenly referred to them as TI (Texas Instruments) in
    my earlier post.

    I think that you will find that it's the code that runs on your ix86
    that "they" are so concerned about. The whole damn modem is emulated!
    It is not a real modem, it is a software emulation! It costs a lot
    of Engineering hours to emulate a modem. The idea is to remove
    hardware, which has a cost, and substitute software, which is "free"!
    -- Pointy-haired management ideas here.

    I think somebody can get an interface specification and even some
    stripped-down emulation software without a NDA. The interested party
    just needs to find the right manufacturer's representative. After all,
    they DO want to sell these things.

    The remaining question is; "Do we want to use these things?". I don't
    even use Internal Modems. I don't like the idea of a phone-line
    lightening strike finding its way to ground through my motherboard.
    I'd much rather replace the modem. Yes, 20 years of running a BBS
    taught me this.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.115 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.019 / U:2.320 seconds]