    SubjectRe: Winmodem support, some performance tradeoff estimates
    On Sun, 16 Aug 1998, Adam J. Richter wrote:

    > It also appears that the estimated 7.25 million Linux users of
    > the world are not going to collectively waste over US$100 million on
    > hardware modems, but I do think that that figure is probably still in
    > the tens of millions of US dollars as those that would save money with

    Another factor to consider is that there's a class of user that prefers
    external modems (easier to reset without rebooting, easier to move from
    system to system, leds to tell you what's happening, LCDs on the better
    ones to tell you speed and other status info). I don't think an external
    softmodem is currently available/possible. For these people, winmodem
    kernel support is irrelevant.

    Jon Lewis <> | Spammers will be winnuked or
    Network Administrator | drawn and quartered...whichever
    Florida Digital Turnpike | is more convenient.
    ______ for PGP public key____

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.026 / U:36.436 seconds]