SubjectRe: Winmodem support
On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Craig Schlenter wrote:

> > I just wanted to put in 1.44^2 cents here... I hope that there isn't
> > anyone working on a Winmodem driver. I feel that there are better things
> > to waste time on - like coming up with a standard for sound card
> > programming. Winmodems in general (IMHO) are a brain dead design. I have
> > yet to see a piece of software do as good or better job than hardware.
> > This also applies to Winprinters and anything else Win.
>
> It may not be an issue for _you_ but taking the moral or technical high
> ground and saying there are more virtuous issues to work on or better
> solutions doesn't change the fact that I have to boot win95 to connect to
> the Internet right now from my machine at home.

Then next time read the box before purchasing the thing. The
"WIN" part of "WINMODEM" should be an amazing clue that it is
designed to run in WINDOWS, and not in LINUX.

> The more hardware support we have for linux, the better things will be
> IMHO.

The less WINMODEM support we have in Linux, the better things are
in Linux IMHO.

> If someone is thinking of starting up a winmodem project, I'll try to help
> in whatever limited way I can.

The easy solution is to crack $70 for a REAL modem. Then next
time you plan on purchasing ANY peripheral, do some research
beforehand, and read the box. I always FORCE the sales guy to
rip the box open, or tell him I'm going elsewhere. They usually
say that you can return it if it isn't right, and I say, ok, well
if I take it home, I'll be opening the box, so I'll just do it
right now and save us all the trouble.

They usually open the box.

--
Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.093 / U:0.404 seconds]