    SubjectRe: Giving a user root access
    On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Anthony Barbachan wrote:

    > would
    > >> need to encrypt communications over the loopback interface, would you? ;)
    > >
    > >No but rlogin availability without a firewall leaves the host
    > >open to the numerous flaws rlogin.
    > >
    > >Lets put it this way. If you had a machine up 24/7 on the net
    > >(and perhaps you do), would you run rshd/rlogind for your users
    > >for any reason?
    > >
    > >Not me.
    > >
    > I do not on unsecured internet machines either. However, security could be
    > improve using the builtin linux kernel firewalling code. Make the machine
    > its own firewall.

    I agree. And don't use insecure protocols like rsh. Use a
    firewall, and ssh. Old protocols should be deprecated.

    Mike A. Harris - Computer Consultant - Linux advocate

    Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your
    PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.036 / U:0.384 seconds]