    SubjectRe: CHALLENGE!!! =)
    On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, David Schleef wrote:

    > > On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, root wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi everybody!!!
    > > >
    > > > This is a challenge for me ... and those who don't know how to
    > > > do it. =) How can I plug in a second SCREEN on a second VIDEO CARD in linux?
    > > >
    > > > I mean : I have a 15" SVGA Screen which I use in X-windows, and I would like
    > > > to plugin a 14" VGA Screen on a second video card....
    > > >
    > > > Do you know that?
    > > >
    > > > if yes, reply here and at KURDT@VIDEOTRON.CA
    > >
    > > Sure! It's easy!
    > >
    > > 1) Turn off computer
    > > 2) Open up your computer
    > > 3) Find a free bus slot for your second video card.
    > > 4) Plug the card into that slot.
    > > 5) Put the case back on the computer.
    > > 6) Plug the second monitor into the second video card on the back
    > > of the computer.
    > > 7) Plug the power cord for the monitor into the wall outlet.
    > >

    > > Piece of cake.
    > >

    > And this could potentially blow up both video cards, since they don't
    > typically have protection against two cards driving the bus at the
    > same time. (The Diamond Speedstar in my hand appears to use 74LS245's
    > to tristate the data lines, but if you connect the output of one to
    > the output of another when neither are tri-stated -- blammo!)

    Plug 'n Play compliant hardware is supposed to be immune to this.
    Lots of ostensibly PnP cards don't meet the spec in various ways, however
    |-<. I haven't heard of this causing a problem, but that doesn't mean it
    can't (or hasn't) happen(ed).

    > There are various web pages and FAQs discussing this. I have no references,
    > since it is just as easy for interested people to search for these as it is
    > for me.
    >
    > The cases where you could potentially use two video cards (hardware limitation):
    >
    > 1 Both are on the PCI bus

    And can be MMIO relocated correctly - bugs abound. Conflict
    matricies of card-card multihead interactions will need to be written up,
    and probably codified in KGI as well. Yes, there are that many special
    cases to consider.

    > 2 One is on PCI and one is VGA on ISA (maybe)
    > 3 VGA and MDA
    > 4 You have a modified VGA card that translates bus addresses

    5 One VLB and one ISA/PCI.

    > Assuming you have such a combination ready, you must look for software that
    > can handle it. There is a commercial X server that handles multi-heading for
    > the PCI/PCI case. I've heard reports of people using MDA as a console and
    > VGA for X. Last I checked, there did not appear to be kernel support for
    > multiple consoles. (sounds like a fun project...)

    KGI can multihead VGA/MDA, VGA/PCI and PCI/PCI. Only a few cases
    have been tested, but it does work.

    Jon

    ---
    becoming one with God.'
    - Scientist G. Richard Seed

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.025 / U:119.564 seconds]