SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>
> 	But sooth!  Look at fbcon!  Critical sections are not a problem
> because the drivers are in the kernel and are not tasks, subject to
> signals and scheduling. Maintaining coherent state is not a problem,
> because of the same reasons. No special permissions are needed, because
> the code is a kernel device driver. VT switching coordination is not an
> issue, because that is handled elsewhere. Everything just works right

You're right wrt. stability, but this driver can't use accelerator
functions of the graphics card, or the whole can of worms opens again,
right? Not using things like bitblt ops of even so simple chips as
CLGD5426 (not to mention state of the art hardware like Millennium II
etc.) would be a shameful waste, IMHO.

So we really need some control over the kernel, but I suspect for that
signal blocking and RT scheduling is enough. I don't know whether this
can be done with the current X server implementations, though.

The only nagging issue is signal 9 which can't be blocked. (Give root
the special privilege of blocking signal 9?) Or is it always safe to
interrupt a graphics accelerator function? I think not.

olaf

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.184 / U:0.360 seconds]