    SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>
    Date
    > > 	No we are not.  Where did hostility come into this?  There are
    > > many legitimate reasons why I might want to kill -9 the X server.
    >
    > No there aren't. And get me off the Cc list.

    Linus you could start with the simple "My Xserver has hung in a tight loop
    with signals blocked", now I wont have to reboot case. I've seen X do exactly
    that before now. Normally trying to clean up from an out of memory or a sigsegv

    Your daemon hanging around for a kill case doesnt work because there is
    a fundamental race between telling the card and the daemon about a state
    change in the video programming.

    Its quite obvious that you are intelligent enough to realise this, so I can
    only assume you are being stubborn because you've forgotten how to be
    wrong about something.

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.017 / U:0.388 seconds]