SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > that does screen modes - and nothing else. No system calls, no knowledge
> > of graphis - _just_ screen mode changing. And no built-in kernel support:
> > it would _have_ to be a module and it would have to be directed by
> > XFree86, because there are too many choices to do it sanely any other way.
> >
> > So far, the people who complain haven't done anything constructive imho.
>
> They wrote KGI, and GGI, then threw KGI away and did it right as KGIcon.
> Thats one claim you can't legitimately make.

KGI was not thrown away, but it is being rewritten right now. We
still think it does framebuffer devices better than fbdev. But we have
seen the light and the new Degas-KGI doesn't force people to use a
different console or different input devices. GGI Console and KII are for
those areas. We listened to Linus' complaints about the unecessary
integration and worked (and are still working) to solve them. GGI people
write code. We do not have any particular ideological attachment to any
other positions than the in-kernel drivers idea that GGI was founded on.
It would be nice if other people were as flexible, but I guess you can't
have everything in this life that you want.

> However kgicon also includes the kernel code to solve the problem as a loadable
> module making the entire argument somewhat bogus at this point. Once kgicon
> is finally polished you choose between using it or not, and the rest of
> the kernel code doesn't come into it.

Indeed. If we had been zealots, we'd have thrown a hissy fit when
fbcon got into the kernel and KGI didn't. But instead, we started working
on kgicon right away, so that people could use our driver code. GGI
Console will be able to use fbdev *or* KGI, and LibGGI has a nice fat
fbdev display target available. We are bending over backwards to be
compatible and flexible wherever we can.

> Anyway your "anything constructive" comment is just plain insulting to the
> people who have gone and done all the work.

I have stayed with the GGI project all these years, through all
the scorn, all the abuse, all the silent treatment, all the snobby,
supercilious standoffishness of the linux-kernel crowd, all the repetitive
flamewars where I have to explain the same points over and over and over
again, all the self-righteous lectures I have to patiently endure and then
respond to, etc etc etc. I have only put up with this crap because I love
to hack video cards so much and the GGI project is creating cool things
that I want to be a part of and make use of.

Anyway, enough venting. I still have a lot of posts in this
thread to reply to. That's another thing that keeps me going - I love to
talk about this stuff. It's quite a lot of fun when people don't flame me
over it.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
- Scientist G. Richard Seed

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.037 / U:0.392 seconds]