SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:

> > The X server can avoid even kill -9 from a normal user. As it stands,
> > it doesn't do that, and I personally think it's a bug in X.
>
> I agree.

[...]

> I stand by my claim. If userspace cannot, by its nature, properly
> guarantee the atomicity of those critical sections, video card programming
> cannot be done properly in userspace. Thus, it *is* the kernel's job.

now do you aggree or do you stand by your claim? You cannot have it both
ways ...

as explained, the KILL signal _is_ being handled and can be masked if
another user sends it. The problem with the current X server is that it
runs under the uid it was started.

there _are_ things that are kludgy with the current X server. But it's not
at all that bad as you try to make it up, and the current X server solves
alot of much tougher problems, in a nightmarish environment (PC video
hardware that is). Mode switching just takes up some 2-10% complexity of a
video driver, and is used in 0.0001% of the time. Please come up with a
working and superior alternative instead of denouncing the present one ...

Just remember the GGI flamewar. Many many words and assumptions and bad
feelings, then came the FBCON code silently, it was clean and people
wanted it, so it went into the kernel.

-- mingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.218 / U:0.192 seconds]