SubjectRe: kill -9 <pid of X>
On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> > > Thanks to the fbcon module interface its now about to become
> > > a matter of "slightly faster" v "slightly more kernel overhead/memory" by
> > > user choice - which is the ideal solution
> >
> > Would that this were the case. See above. Also, if you use
> > X86_FBdev you will have to give up all accelerations except rectangular
> > blitting, because that is all the fbcon API supports. XAA will also be
>
> Fbcon doesn't export rectangular blitting neither. fb.h may suggest so, but
> that was preliminary. Just removed it in cvs.

Huh. OK, so all accels now are to be done with driver-specific
ioctls?

> > history. You could enhance XF86_FBdev to have knowledge of
>
> Why wouldn't XAA be possible>
>
> > driver-specific acceleration ioctls, but that won't give you the direct
> > access necessary to implement XAA efficiently.
>
> Driver specific MMIO mmap, I assume?

Or ioctls. I tend to favor ioctls, because giving userspace
direct access to the MMIO registers still leaves open the prossibility of
crashes. Not all combinations of register writes are guaranteed legal.

> There's already an experimental accelerated XF68_FBDev for NCR77C32BLT.

The plan for GGI is to use LibGGI driver libraries for this. The
libraries will know how to implement the LibGGI drawing functions with
acceleration for any specific fbcon driver, and that will give XGGI all
the acceleration capabilities that the fbcon driver supports.

Jon

---
becoming one with God.'
- Scientist G. Richard Seed

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:44    [W:0.429 / U:0.064 seconds]